POST TITLE: Care Worker
Responsible to: Care Manager
Location: 28 Glenburnie Road, Tooting Bec
Hours: To be discussed at interview
Purpose of Position
To share positively with other staff in meeting the personal care needs of service users in a way that respects the dignity of the individual and promotes independence. Care provided by care workers is expected to include care that would reasonably be given by members of the service user’s own family and is not expected to include tasks that would normally be expected to be undertaken by a trained nurse.
- To assist service users who need help with getting up in the morning, dressing, undressing, washing, bathing, and getting to and from the bathroom.
- To help the service user with mobility problems and other physical disabilities, including incontinence and help in use and Care aids and personal equipment.
- To care for service users who are temporarily sick and needing, for example, minor dressings, bed nursing, help with feeding etc.
- To help care for service users who are dying.
- To help in the promotion of mental and physical activity of service users through talking to them, taking them out, sharing with them in activities such as reading, writing, hobbies and recreations.
- To make and change beds; tidy rooms; do light cleaning and empty commodes.
- To inspect, launder and arrange for service users’ clothing to be mended, where necessary.
- To set tables and trays; serve meals; feed service users who need help; prepare light meals and wash up; tidy and clear the dining room.
- To answer emergency bells, the door and the telephone and greet visitors.
- To read and write reports, and take part in staff and service users’ meetings and in training activities as directed.
- To perform such other duties as may reasonably be required.
- To comply with Tooting Neighbourhood Centre’s Code of Conduct and Policies at all times.
- To report to the Care Manager any significant changes in the health or circumstances of a service user.
- To encourage service users to remain as independent as possible and to enable service users to look after themselves according to the Care Plan and to encourage rehabilitation.
- Perform other duties as may from time to time be required that are commensurate with the general duties and within the scope of this post.
Person Specification – Essential Criteria
The following personal attributes are considered essential to the post of care worker:
- Self- motivated
- Sensitive to the needs of others and to the sick or infirm
- An active team player but also able to work on own initiative
- A good communicator.
All staff are required to respect the confidentiality of all matters that they might learn in the course of their employment. All staff are expected to respect the requirements under the Data Protection Act 1998.
All staff must ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities under the Health and Safety Act Work, etc. Act 1974.
Hours of Work: Full-time and Part-time